Saturday, April 26, 2014

Spider-Man Quilt

Spider-Man Quilt

I was asked to make a Spider-Man quilt for my friend's grandson. I have made him several quilts as he has grown. :) She wanted both Spider-Man and the Green Goblin in it.  She also asked for buildings in the background. 

The Web:  I used cording to make the webbing and couched over the cord.

I "graffitied" the grandson's name into the bricks.  

The Web & Chest: 
I used Pigma Micron Black ink to draw the line on the Spider-Man suit.  I used monofilament thread over the lines to pop the chest and webs forward. The center spider was embroidered.

Exploding Pumpkins: used both dark gray and variegated red / orange thread.  I made all the eyes look toward Spider-Man

The Background:   I originally wanted to do a moon, but I felt that if I did I would have to make the background too dark. I used a variegated red/orange thread and  white thread to quilt the rays of the sun.  I didn't have the right blue for the background color so I hand dyed the background. I used three shades of blue dye. This was my first attempt at hand dyeing fabric. I felt like a mad scientist while mixing the dyes. Lots of fun!!   LOL

The Buildings:  I wanted to create depth so the buildings are much larger at the top and the traffic light at the bottom is very small. 

The Goblin: I had a hard time doing his face. Just couldn't get it right, but it's fine. I have smoke coming out of all the pumpkins and his flying device.  I have no idea what it is called.  

The Borders:  I made the red border look like bricks and the outer border filled with webs and spiders!  

I am sure he will love this!!  

The Label



  1. Dinah, how long does it take you to make a wall hanging from the concept of the design to the finished product?
    As an avid fiber artist and quilter, I am always interested in know how much time and love people put into their

    1. Wow, that's a great question that I really don't have an answer for. LOL Coming up with the right concept is the hardest part. Size / scale, in this characters that work together, research on each character - example the Goblin and his "equipment". I didn't know that there were two different Goblins. That part took days. My boyfriend helped me out a bit with the characters, but said that it should have been night time. LOL.

      Once the design was in place the rest was "easy". Fabric choices- finding the right colors for each character and buildings was the fun part. That took several hours at the fabric store.

      Hours cutting out each pieces for the applique. The construction and quilting took days. Plus I have a full time job teaching.

      The Short Answer: 2 months. :)