Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Fellow Quilter /Machine Embroiderer


~ My Quilting Journey ~ 

I received a message from Mary today who said she was excited to meet a fellow quilter/machine embroiderer! I started to laugh because my Quilting Journey started with a Mouse.

 Up until about 8 years ago I was strictly a home sewer.  I loved making slip covers, curtains, clothing, pillows that sort of thing. The sewing bug would come and go depending on if I got bored with my decor.


I was also a very physically active person loving the outdoors: biking, rollerblading, swimming, camping.  While at work (I was coaching gymnastics) I suffered a very serious neck injury and needed spinal surgery.   I was in a neck brace for over 5 months and physical activity was out of the question!! Needing to find something to do with my time at home I turned to sewing.

My daughter was very young at the time and loved Mickey Mouse and anything Disney! I saw a Brother / Disney embroidery machine for sale at WalMart and thought “Hey, I can do that”!  I can put all the Disney characters on her clothing. Well…………. I had no idea what I was doing and I ruined more shirts than I like to admit too!  Mickey & Friends weren’t  looking so good. 

I found a small sewing store inside JoAnn that gave lessons on machine embroidery. I joined their embroidery club and loved it.  I had a wonderful teacher named Dorothy.  Not only was she my teacher, but I am proud to say she will be my lifelong friend!   She was very supportive and kept encouraging me to take a quilting class.  I was a little apprehensive having never having quilted before, but I took the beginner class and was hooked!  I have been quilting ever since! As the saying goes "It all started with a Mouse!! "


Here are just a few of my machine embroidered quilts. 
















 Jenny Haskins ~ Beyond The Color Purple


 Center Block


Orchids and Roses

No comments:

Post a Comment